Monday, 15 February 2010

Wikio Ratings - Eastcliff Richard and Thanet Strife top


I've just received an email from Wikio rating my blog as the 680th most influential blog in the country. I have to say I doubt this as they rate not just blogs on politics but on all subjects. They also cover factual blogs on sport, technology, gastronomy, fashion and wine and beer.
Wikio says .....
"How are these rankings compiled?
The position of a blog in the Wikio ranking depends on the number and weight of the incoming links from other blogs. These links are dynamic, which means that they are backlinks or links found within articles.
Only links found in the RSS feed are included. Blogrolls are not taken into account, and the weight of any given link increases according to how recently it was published.
We thus hope to provide a classification that is more representative of the current influence levels of the blogs therein.

Only links found in RSS feeds are counted. Blogrolls are not taken into account.
Our rankings are updated on a monthly basis and also include Top Blogs for several categories: Technology, Politics, etc. New categories will be added on a regular basis.

I thought I would have a look at other local blogs ratings to see how accurate this rating is. I found (sorry to any I have missed)
554 Eastcliff Richard
599 Thanet Strife
680 From One End of Kent
747 Thanet Press releases
957 Thanet Star
2181 Thanet Coast Life
2275 Village Voice
2672 Naked in Thanet
2857 Promote Thanet
3817 Old Woman of Margate
6770 Zentelligence (Simon Moores technology blog)
14869 Thanet No2ID
16330 Thanet Galaxy
16331 Thanet Scaly Wag
Thanet Life, Thanet Online, Big News Margate - unrated
I think it is great that Thanet has at least 5 blogs in the top 1,000 blogs across the country, making the Isle very influential for its size. I would certainly agree that Thanet Strife and Eastcliff Richard are more influential than this blog. I am surprised that Big News Margate and Thanet Online, other blogs I would estimate as more influential than mine do not feature, so this casts some doubts on the accuracy of the ratings.
On the other hand the ratings say that Simon Moores technology blog is uninfluential. They also do not rate Thanet Conservative councillor Simon Moores blog Thanet Life, preferring Cllr. Ken Gregory's Village Voice for a right wing view. That seems very accurate, although it is unfortunate for Simon that Wikio does not rate fiction and fantasy.

6 comments:

  1. I'm quite pleased to see my Naked in Thanet blog having more of an influence than Thanet Life, Thanet Online & Big News Margate. Obviously Simon, Michael & Tony need to change their approach a little! ; )

    Incidentally these "rankings" seem to be very fickle: normally if you put "Thanet" into Google my main Naked in Thanet website comes up 4th or 5th - it was offline for a few hours today & now isn't even in the top 100 "Thanet" websites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll always be number one as far as I'm concerned, the rest of us are just amateurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark I always find this sort of statistical stuff fascinating and it is one reason why I do my pinch and a punch posts see http://thanetonline.blogspot.com/search?q=pinch+and+a+punch

    Anyway here is some food for thought.

    The Thanetonline blog http://thanetonline.blogspot.com/ I think didn’t come up for you as it titled as all one word, you will find if you put it in that way it ranks 578. It gets about 2,700 Absolute Unique Visitors a month.

    However the Thanet Press Releases blog I do http://thanetpress.blogspot.com/ only gets 742 Absolute Unique Visitors a month but rates 747.

    So perhaps it’s Wikio and not us that needs to do some more work.

    I am petty sure I know why Thanet Life http://birchington.blogspot.com/ doesn’t cone up, that is because the blog is so old that it has one of bloggers oldest templates so I don’t think Wikio even recognises it as a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I am on top of Naked in Thanet!!!!!

    Scary stuff. Seriously who are the folk at Wikio?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would be interested to know how many actual individual readers the bloggers have. Not visits, but readers. This would give a truer indication of how "influential" the clogs are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael
    Thank you for that explanation and apologies for not giving you the recognition your blog deserves. I agree that Wikio is not fully up to speed on this as I indicated on my post.

    One thing that is clear is that Thanet outperforms much of the rest of the country with 5 bloggers in the top 1,000 which is great.

    Anon 19.23 my technical skills are not great as the format of some of my posts shows. I think Michael's pinch and a punch post each month is a fairly accurate guide to popularity in Thanet.

    Going from his figures that means this blog gets somewhere between 1 and 2,000 visitors a month - that seems about right to me. I am always slightly surprised how many people I meet locally have read the blog.

    Like some other Thanet bloggers I write for the pleasure and I hope the benefit this blog can provide, not to get numbers. Then again, I'm not at or near the top - so I would say that wouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete