Thursday, 24 December 2009

The Simple Pleasures of Life


Seasons greetings to one and all, I hope everybody who comes to read from time to time has an enjoyable Christmas. I have been harvesting produce from the garden for tomorrow; potatoes, squashes, swedes and beetroot which are still enduring the weather. Are they sweeter after a frost?
Onions and apples are stored away but will make an appearance, and there are still red peppers and yellow tomatoes ripening in the greenhouse.
I needed 8 ounces of beetroot for a loaf of beetroot bread, a luscious aroma when baking and even better to taste. It gave me pleasure that I was able to select the beetroot you see from the couple of dozen still in the ground, which weighed in at 10oz. Nice that my eye could judge the produce to the need.
The beetroot came with a free added slug which had made a few holes, so once they were cut round and the skin removed there was just over 8 ounces left. A small task that gave me a nice warm feeling inside.
I am off to prepare vegetables and other delights to entertain tomorrow, and I hope you get as much pleasure from the simple things as I do in the coming year.

2 comments:

  1. A very Happy and Peaceful Christmas Mark to thee and thine. Best wishes, Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not wishing to 'black cat' you Mark, but not only were all our veg homegrown this year, but also the turkey and pig!!!
    Seasons greatings.

    ReplyDelete