Monday, 5 October 2009

Read All About It

A friend asked me about my recent blogging award. They do not follow blogs and in trying to explain blogs in Thanet to them I made comparison to the various national newspapers.

Here's what I thought ......

Starting on the left of course, Dave Green’s Eastcliff Matters was for many years the Guardian. Now that he is Mayor of Ramsgate and blogging less frequently that makes him the Observer. I suggest this blog is as an approximation to the Guardian. Cllr. Mike Harrison's Newington Blogspot is a less frequent blogger on the left so he's the Sunday Mirror.

Cllr. Simon Moores Thanet Life shares many of the values of the Daily Mail, with a similar regard for accuracy and consistency. Tony Flaig’s Big News Margate talks a lot about television, albeit Kent TV, and does bang on about immigration too, so he’s nearest the Daily Express. Thankfully, he's not obsessed with Princess Diana, just Mr. Puss. The most read blogger in Thanet Eastcliff Richard equates to the biggest selling newpaper The Sun, no ECR, no fun. (Good to see Samantha guest editing breaking up the boys club, get well soon ECR).

The Times website is the Timesonline, nicely evoking our own Thanetonline from Michael Child, although Michael's willingness to publish from all comers makes him far more of a 21st century paper of record. For traditional Conservative values like the Daily Telegraph, and with coverage of audit discrepancies mirroring the Telegraph’s expenses stories go to Bertie Biggles’ Thanet Strife. At the other end of the spectrum Peter Checksfield’s Naked in Thanet is nearest to the Daily Sport. Moving slightly upmarket Cllr. Ken Gregory’s Village Voice is known for brevity like much of the Daily Star’s articles. Matt B’s Thanet Star makes much of being on neither side of the fence so he’s the Independent.

Apologies to those I’ve missed, I wonder what comparisons you would make?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insult,Daily Express, to be honest the analogy is complete bollocks I rarely mention immigration but then you frequently mention Labour hypocrisy, social justice, and concern yourself with Thanet's under classes.

    Still what would a career Eurocrat like yourself know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it you don't get the Express then Tony, do tell what would be more appropriate and why

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks alot (I think!), though I like to think that my other blog The Margate Music Man is more 'Mojo' magazine or perhaps 'Record Collector'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Peter there could be scope for us to have comparisons with monthly magazines too. Luke you're too new to me for me to have a view yet, what would you reckon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following your comparison of his blog to The Sun, Richard has authorised me to inform you that he will be withdrawing his support from you at the next election.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've covered all the bases with newspapers to be honest, Mark. At the moment, my blog's probably like one of those supplementary papers you get at the weekends (i.e. G2). But who knows... If people like my supplementary bits and bobs, then in time I may get bought by a Russian oligarch for £1 and then the sky will truly be the limit. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark I appreciate your sense of humour here, after the dark satanic mills of the other day I was beginning to wonder. Not sure I could keep up with the Rupert Murdoch image though. It’s as while since I read the Guardian but from what I remember you will need a lot more typos on your blog to come up to par. Well I will leave you to build Jerusalem, In England’s green and pleasant Land.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I taught English some years ago the standard reference point for assessing reading age was the capability to read a newspaper. The reading age required to cope with The Sun was the lowest of all, about 8 years and, of course, The Times required a reading age of 13 or 14 years.

    At the time The Independent didn't exist but I'd put it up with The Times myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can live with being compared to the indi.

    ReplyDelete