Tuesday, 22 September 2009

Making Waves


I am pleased to see a new young voice of blogging in Thanet, Luke Edwards who has established Thanet Waves. Luke's got a coarse strapline so I asked him why and this is what he said:

"Well, generally, a lot of my friends seem to regard Thanet as a "shithole," but I disagree. Even my old school friends from Deal seem to view Thanet with nothing but contempt - full of "chavs and pikeys," they regard it - so I thought "Shithole is a state of mind" would be an apt slogan for a blog. It's intended to mean that if people consider Thanet to be a "shithole" then it's more of a reflection of their jaded perspective than it is a reality.


In other words, if (like me) you want to strive to make Thanet a better place - and, let's face it, there is a bit of deprivation here and there - then "shithole is a state of mind" is my little rallying call for people to realize that instead of deriding it, we should accept that our negative perception of it is only a state of mind, and that we should endeavour to improve our little area in any way we can.


In general, my blog's really supposed to be lending a bit of constructive criticism or opinion pieces on local issues, but it's also grounded in a general appreciation for the area - I certainly don't enjoy the bad reputation Thanet has, largely because I think it's a lovely place in many ways and has a great deal of potential. Anyway, sorry my answer's a bit longwinded, and I know the slogan's a bit coarse or rude, but I felt like it needed to be said (especially to a lot of my disillusioned young friends)


Hope this explains where I'm coming from."


Spot on about how others can perceive us Luke and glad to see you challenging your contemporaries. We have one of the best, if not the best climate in the country and a coastline to be proud of. Nobody does more to Promote Thanet than Don.

No comments:

Post a Comment