Saturday, 18 July 2009

PROUD OF SANDY EZEKIEL

Clive from Margate contacted me to point out the Thought for the Week religion column in this week's Isle of Thanet Gazette. He is disappointed by the column's implied criticism of the Thanet Pride event this week. I agree. The writer of the piece is the Reverend Stuart Gay, from St. Philip's Church, Palm Bay. The key points of the column are

"My favourite quotes from the Book of Proverbs in the bible are

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall"

and another in a similar vein:

"A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honour.""


and the column concludes with

"Pride is not wrong in itself. But it should be measured. Flaunting it will lead to our own downfall. there are some things we should not be publicly proud of. I'll leave you to work out what that means this weekend."

It is disappointing that the Reverend Gay is oblique with his last comment and does not say what he means. I agree with Clive's interpretation that this is a criticism of the Thanet Pride event this weekend celebrating the gay, lesbian and bisexual community.

I remain a critic of Thanet Council's Conservative Leader Sandy Ezekiel. One thing he was been consistently sound on is his support for Thanet Pride. This against a backdrop where Conservative Party leader David Cameron has supported homophobic measures, and where Kent County Council Conservative Councillors have long fought to discriminate against gay people. Sandy's support has been consistent and direct.

I am proud that Thanet Council leads the way in Kent in supporting the Thanet Pride event each year. Long may it continue.

I was in Margate this morning and the town was the busiest I have known seen it for some time as people were setting up for today's Thanet Pride. Every street parking place I could see was taken and many people were dressed up for the event. I took a few photos.

Clive finished his comments by wondering whether the Reverend Gay was ever teased for his surname?

I am proud that local politicians of all hues are supporting Thanet Pride into the future.

2 comments:

  1. Cyprus July of 1974 URGENT: to the unions of R.A.F. discharged officers

    http://ellhnkaichaos.blogspot.com/2009/07/cyprus-july-of-1974.html

    http://bellum-mentalis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst I dont agreee with homosexuality I a firm supporter of those who are after all said and done fellow humans and to portray them as anything than that is wrong. I know many who feel shunned by the church and by others and am saddened by peoples attitudes towards a small section of our society. I am a member of Saint Pauls in Northdown Road and would say I for one will welcome those who for whatever reason find themselves marginalized whatever the reason

    ReplyDelete