Sunday, 12 July 2009

ANNIE CAULFIELD A VOICE INSIDE MY HEADPHONES

There was better than predicted weather (so often the case in Ramsgate!) for the Friends Of Ramsgate Library (FORL)Summer Fayre in Vale Square, which maybe had put a few people off. I had a good conversation with Central Harbour councillor Peter Campbell who seemed to know as many people present, as "Mr. Vale Square" and Chair of FORL Jocelyn McCarthy.

I have written before about how much I enjoy listening to podcasts on my commuting, and the excellent service provided by BBC Radio 4. Special guest opening the Fayre was local resident Annie Caulfield, a woman who is often inside my headphones.

Annie was talking about her travel books throughout the afternoon. I listen to Annie as a presenter on the travel programme Crossing Continents, and also her regular appearances on From Our Own Correspondent. Looking at her website Annie has entertained me for many years, as a writer for Lenny Henry, Comic Relief and the drama This Life, and many more credits that you can find on her website.

Annie's latest book Show Me the Magic is on the rarely heard about country of Benin in West Africa. She's already writing her next book on Spain, with Gabon likely to be the next country to receive her amusing insights. It was kind of her to give so generously of her time.

No comments:

Post a Comment