Saturday, 25 April 2009

THE COMING ELECTIONS

I have been surprised at a few local bloggers saying that bloggers have to go into "purdah" and not be political during the coming election campaigns. Untrue. The cost of producing any party political matters has to be covered, and accounted for in an election, but I am not a candidate for any of the coming elections so I am unaffected. Also, as it says at the top of the blog this is my personal site, it is not a Labour Party blog so you will find views here that vary with my Thanet Council Labour colleagues and the Labour Party nationally. My views, nobody else's. If others want to speak through this site I clearly indicate that when I post, or indicate it is a guest blog.

If people say they have to not mention the elections, that may mean they intend to be an election candidate, or that they do not understand election law. The cost of this blog is the miniscule amount of electricity I am using as I type, nothing else. I am helped with research by friends but they do not pay me, and I don't pay them. One of the great things about blogging is that a number of people comment or email asking why don't you cover this subject? A big thank you to the many people who have given me ideas for stories since I started. In the end though it is my responsibility regarding what is published.

I will be blogging less, because elections are always busy periods. I think I am more likely to make a difference and contact voters on the telephone, by leafletting or by knocking on doors, rather than by blogging.

The Isle of Thanet Gazette removed Cllr. Sandy Ezekiel's column quite properly because his column would equate to a paid advertisement for the Kent County/Ramsgate Parish elections. However, replacing it with Laura Sandys seemed unimaginative. I would have preferred to see a view from a Liberal Democrat, Green or an Independent. Many people say the Gazette is biased in it's reporting. I have not experienced that for my letters and press releases, but decisions like this are likely to give cause for concern. Cllr. Ezekiel is Leader of Thanet Council, Laura Sandys has no executive power. Perhaps we will see a series from all the aspirant Parliamentary candidates for the two Thanet seats.

The only leaflet I have had so far is from the BNP. That's why I have put the flag up on the right. I have been campaigning to take the Union Jack back from the National Front/BNP all my adult life and it sickens me when they use it.

The Queen has a German background and is married to a Greek. When the BNP complain about people coming in from elsewhere in Europe where will they start? By removing Prince Philip and his children?

How many Premiership footballers do they want to remove?

I hope as many people as possible vote in all the elections and that we do not see the BNP winning representation anywhere.

7 comments:

  1. Mark
    I recommend a conversation with the monitoring officer on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, I'm sure any necessary guidance will be circulated. We're politicians and people expect us to be politicial, so I will for example question why your tolerance of anti-social behaviour is selective. I am disappointed that you consider Cllr. Sandy Ezekiel's repeated misconduct remains acceptable for the Leader of Thanet Council. Just because there is an election on it does not mean I cannot repeat that previously expresssed opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon 12.37 if you wish to make accusations againt cllrs that you will need to put your name to them. Your loyalty to Cllr. Ezekiel is noted. As advised to others making similar accusations by all means make a formal complaint to the Council.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark

    I'm unclear as to what anything to do with Cllr Ezekiel has to with the matter of electoral 'purdah' or indeed, why my views on such matters should be public. It's rather like asking you what you think of the catatstrophic leadership of the present Government or indeed, the expenses claims of senior Ministers.

    I have spoken to the monitoring officer and have taken his professional advice on what is permissable during an election period. I simply recommend that as a sitting councillor with a weblog clearly labelling you as such, that you do the same!

    PS. nice tie the other night.. !

    ReplyDelete
  5. One reason tories might be reluctant to blog is because they know quite simply their polices are few and far between and some of their quoted triumps actual appear to have been generated by "neutral" officers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The BNP are racist and I don't like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps tories don't blog because they have better lives than us nerdies who don't have anything better to do, and no money to go out at night or watch sky tv.

    ReplyDelete