Laura Sandys has been very careful to say as little as possible in Thanet. Regular readers will know that she does not answer correspondence and avoids difficult issues. When down in Thanet she is too often all things to all people. China Gateway, Manston Airport, Thanet Council’s massive Council tax increase, all the big local issues she steers away from or stays silent.
Back home, yesterday in London, amongst her friends the mask dropped. Laura said that she opposes what the Labour government has done since 1997.
Here’s a Top Twenty of what Laura dislikes:
1. Record police numbers in England, Scotland and Wales
2. 85,000 more nurses
3. 32,000 more doctors
4. Brought back matrons to hospital wards
5. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time
6. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & extra £400 for over-80s
7. Over 30,000 more teachers in England schools
8. All workers now have a right to 4 weeks’ paid holiday
9. A million pensioners lifted out of relative poverty
10. 800,000 children lifted out of relative poverty
11. Free TV licences for over-75s
12. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals
13. Free local bus travel for over-60s
14. Free eye test for over 60s
15. Five, six and seven year olds in class sizes of 30 or less
16. Free entry to national museums and galleries
17. Overseas aid budget more than doubled
18. Cancer death rates down by 12 per cent, saving 43,000 lives
19. Free nursery places for three and four-year-olds in England, Scotland and Wales
20. Brand new Ellington School replacing a pre-World War outdated, cramped building and work continuing at St. George's, Dane Court, King Ethelbert's, Charles Dickens to re-build these schools with 21st century buildings
These are all things that the Labour government has achieved through state action, but which Laura thinks are wrong. Here’s what she described these extra activities by government as being:
“Laura Sandys, Conservative candidate for South Thanet, said she did not like the term "government" and described the state as a "flesh-eating disease".”
Click here for a fuller report.
This is particularly insulting to those nurses, matrons and doctors fighting the flesh eating disease MRSA in our hospitals. Laura compares all those state employees as being like a “flesh-eating disease.” How offensive, but when you are used to private education and private health care cover, the state is unnecessary. That’s how the wealthy live, not how most people in Thanet do. South Thanet has some of the lowest wages in the South East.
So, if you are a nursing assistant or a police officer, a teacher or social worker, a home help or you collect the bins, or if any of your nearest and dearest do one of these jobs, Laura thinks as a state employee you are like a “flesh eating disease”. The state that teaches our children, that nurses us when we are unwell, and sends troops to give their lives for us in Afghanistan and Iraq is a "flesh eating disease".
The nasty Party showing its true colours, Norman Tebbit would be proud.
If South Thanet Conservative Association have any gumption they will pull Laura in, tell her she is not up to the job, and get a fresh candidate who will regard all those locally who work for the state with respect, not contempt .
A local person who used state services would not have been so contemptuous.